Litchfield Board of Selectmen | Meeting Agenda | June 27, 2022
Litchfield is hiring, Town Administrator Position
TOWN OF LITCHFIELD
2 Liberty Way, Suite 1, Litchfield, NH 03052
Tel: 603-424-4046 Fax: 603-424-3014
TOWN ADMINISTRATOR POSITION
Town of Litchfield, NH
A community of approximately 8500 residents located between Manchester and Nashua, NH is seeking a detail oriented and creative professional to serve as Town Administrator under the guidance of a five member Board of Selectmen. The Administrator is responsible for overseeing daily operations of the town which has an operating budget of about $7.5 million and providing oversight and leadership for approximately 30 full time employees. The preferred candidate will possess five to seven years of progressively responsible municipal management experience preferably in New Hampshire. Candidates with knowledge and demonstrable experience in finance and budgeting, labor relations, capital and facilities planning are desired. Strong communication skills, ability to work collaboratively with staff, boards and committees as well as ability to effectively use current technology. Starting salary will be commensurate with experience, education and qualifications. The town offers excellent benefits and participation in the NH Retirement System. Applications will be accepted until noon on Friday, July 8, 2022. Interested candidates should submit in confidence a cover letter, resume and references electronically as a single PDF file to email@example.com
Town Administrator Job Description
The Administrator for the town of Litchfield, NH under the guidance of the Board of Selectmen is responsible for the day to day operations of the town’s government. Through the frequent and direct interactions the Administrator will ensure the smooth functioning of the government by providing department heads with direction and guidance. The Administrator through the establishment of effective working relationships will ensure the implementation of the direction of the Board of Selectmen as well as the town’s compliance with both State and Federal laws.
Duties & Responsibilities:
35% The Administrator as Personnel officer of the town will:
- Supervise and provide direction to all Department Heads under the jurisdiction of the Board of Selectmen;
- Ensure that all personnel records are maintained and complete;
- Ensure that all employees are fully trained on all policies and procedures as may be required;
- Ensure that all town personnel policies are adhered to and administered fairly by all departments;
- Administer personnel performance reviews of department heads and administrative staff as appropriate;
- Reviews and approves disciplinary actions up to and including suspension and will provide recommendations of termination to the Board of Selectmen;
25% The Administrator as part of his/her supervisory duties will:
- Conceive, develop and present for approval to the Board of Selectmen policies and procedures as may be required of the Town by RSA or as directed by the Board of Selectmen;
- Implements the recommendations of the town’s auditors as may be stated in the annual financial reports;
- Investigate and implement cost savings for the town;
- Acts as lead negotiator for the contract of services, goods and capital items as well as personnel union contracts;
- Develop, draft and coordinate grants and RFPs/RFQs for the town as may be required;
- Conduct regular one-on-one and department head and employee meetings to update personnel and solicit feedback on issues or problems;
- Develop, maintain and gain approval of the Board of Selectmen of a 5-year master plan describing the development and proposed evolution of the town government and services as may be required by our community;
- Provide the Board of Selectmen with preparatory information packages for their next meeting and monthly written reports on town activities/affairs;
20% The Administrator is responsible for overseeing and ensuring the accuracy and functioning of the town’s financial accounting systems. With guidance and consultation provided by the Board of Selectmen, the Administrator will:
- Develop, review and present in coordination with the Department Heads the annual budget of expenses and revenues of the town to the Board of Selectmen for approval;
- Represents the town in budget Committee meetings to present update/status information and department budget requests;
- Monitor and report to the Board of Selectmen, department spending and revenues against the approved budget and as necessary will adjust spending to maintain budgetary compliance;
- Reconcile and reports to the Board of Selectmen the account balances and revenues of the Treasurer, Town Clerk/Tax Collector and Office Manager;
- Ensure that transfers to and from town accounts are appropriately authorized and completed on a timely basis;
- Ensure that the town’s departments fully cooperate and coordinate with the town’s auditors;
- Implement and maintain a capital asset tracking system;
10% The Administrator as the focal point of town government, will;
- Receive, investigate and respond to citizen complaints as directed to the Board of Selectmen;
- Review the recommendations of Avitar and recommend action to the Board of Selectmen for requests of abatement and exemptions;
- Administer and act as Welfare Officer for the town;
10% The Administrator may be assigned other duties from time to time as determined by the Board of Selectmen.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
The Administrator shall have a thorough knowledge of public administration including municipal accounting, personnel management of professional staff as well as NH Municipal State law. He/She shall have well developed skills in communication (oral and written), planning, organizing, delegation and resolution of disputes. He/She will possess excellent judgment, creativity and the ability to lead.
The Administrator will have direct supervisory authority over all department heads that fall under the control of the Board of Selectmen. He/She shall have the authority to discipline and suspend employees under his/her control and to make recommendations to the Selectmen concerning termination. The Administrator shall have all other authority as may be granted under the town’s policies and procedures as approved by the Board of Selectmen.
The Town Administrator will exercise a considerable degree of independent judgment subject to the general supervision and policy direction from the Board of Selectmen. The Administrator shall attend Board of Selectmen meetings and provide updates and receive direction from the Board of Selectmen.
A Bachelor’s degree in Public Management, Business Administration or related field with 5 years of relevant experience; Master’s degree preferred including two years of prior administrative experience. Prior experience is preferably in a NH municipal setting; alternatively, any equivalent combination of experience and education which demonstrates possession of the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Litchfield Board of Selectmen | Meeting Agenda | June 13, 2022
Litchfield Fire Log for the month of May 2022
Litchfield Capital Improvement Planning Committee | Meeting Agenda | June 6, 2022
Litchfield Board of Selectmen | Meeting Agenda | June 3, 2022
Litchfield Board of Selectmen | Meeting Agenda | May 31, 2022
Litchfield Board of Selectmen | Meeting Agenda | May 23, 2022
Board of Selectmen | Meeting Agenda | May 9, 2022
Volunteers Needed, We Need You!!!
Town of Litchfield
2 Liberty Way, Suite 1
Litchfield, NH 03052
Tel: 603.424.4046 Fax: 603.424.3014
FOR VARIOUS TOWN BOARDS, COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS
The Board of Selectmen is seeking individuals to serve as regular and alternate volunteer members on various town boards, committees and commissions. To be considered, applications can be submitted online at Litchfield Volunteer Form or deliver/mail to the Litchfield Town Office, Attn: Town Administrator, 2 Liberty Way, Litchfield, NH 03052.
For additional information or questions, please contact Troy Brown, Town Administrator at Tbrown@litchfieldnh.gov or call 603-424-4046 ext 1250. Please be advised that positions will remain open until filled. Thank you in advance for your service to our community.
VOLUNTEER POSITIONS AVAILABLE:
(1) Capital Improvements Committee Citizens Representative
(1) Pat Jewett Volunteer Appreciation Award Coordinator
Conservation Commission Regular / Alternate Members
Heritage Commission Regular / Alternate Members
Planning Board Alternate Members
Recreation Commission Alternate Members
Zoning Board of Adjustment Alternate Members